Monday, June 28, 2010

update on metal studded boots in ultimate

This is an update of a previous post on the subject.

The interpretations document for the rules of ultimate has been updated this year. As I had stated in my previous post, I had hoped to see the mention of metal studs removed from the interpretation of the rule banning dangerous equipment (rule 3.4). Alas, no.

Here's what the interpretation (still) says:

3.1. "Metal studs, long studs and studs with sharp edges are not allowed on footwear"

The Appendix (additional rules for championship events) has also been updated this year. This has a section on uniform requirements, within which there are further mentions of metal studs. (this can also be found on a page of the WUCC2010 website, for which it will be in force, presumably).

Here's what that says about the issue:

C11.2. Any studs or ridges on the sole of the shoes must not protrude more than 20 millimetres from the sole nor have any sharp edges.

and then also:

C13. Additional Uniform Requirements for Players
C13.1. Players must not wear anything that is dangerous to other players. WFDF considers metal studs to be dangerous.

"WFDF considers...", that really doesn't sound like a rule to me, more a guideline; an issue on which I could consider something else. Looking at other parts of this document, it's clear that this is indeed something like a polite request. For instance:

C10. Socks
C10.1. Socks or stockings do not need to be matching in any way.
C10.2. If players on a team wear long socks, WFDF considers that matching those socks will improve the image of the sport.


Anyway, this is a change from the 2009 appendix, I believe (which had simply mentioned 'metallic cleats' in the list of things not allowed). This change pleases me.

I do think things could be clearer though. I had to carefully examine the rules, the interpretations and the appendix to try to find out what is allowed, and then two of the documents are seemingly contradictory. It's not ideal.



P.S. one other line from the appendix for championship play:

C13.2. Players must not wear anything that gains an advantage by substantially enhancing the
physical presence of the player.


Isn't it weird that this is in the appendix? Does it imply I could wear my cape to improve my force in non-championship play?

No comments:

Post a Comment